[plug] Problem installing RH7.1 on a TPG

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Sat Jul 21 18:07:13 WST 2001

I've been having a persistently difficult time with installing RH7.1 on
a TPG 350 MHz (P6B40-A4X mobo).

Part way through the install a dialog appears saying the install failed
- probably not enough disk space.  Looking behind the scenes (Alt-F4)
shows "<4>hdd: command error: error=0x50" and the next line
"<4>end_request: I/O Error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 1049672" .

These errors are repeated a few times.

I've changed CD drives and put either drive on hdb without making any
difference.  I can install RH6.2 without any problem, but it doesn't
recognise the DLink DFE-530TX network card.  I have attempted to upgrade
from 6.2 to 7.1 but hit the same error.  There is no problem with the CD
itself but I burnt a copy and that also fails.

I even repeated the whole process on another PC, out of the same batch
(in a school PC cluster).

Seems to be the mobo to me - RH7.1 just doesn't like it.  I couldn't
find any similar tales on the net.  Anyone else had these difficulties?

(I'm going to try Mandrake 7.2 shortly.  Fingers crossed . .)

K.