[plug] Problem installing RH7.1 on a TPG

Carl Gherardi gherardi at cs.curtin.edu.au
Sun Jul 22 18:31:52 WST 2001

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Kevin Shackleton wrote:

> I've been having a persistently difficult time with installing RH7.1 on
> a TPG 350 MHz (P6B40-A4X mobo).
>
> Part way through the install a dialog appears saying the install failed
> - probably not enough disk space.  Looking behind the scenes (Alt-F4)
> shows "<4>hdd: command error: error=0x50" and the next line
> "<4>end_request: I/O Error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 1049672" .
>
> These errors are repeated a few times.
>
> I've changed CD drives and put either drive on hdb without making any
> difference.  I can install RH6.2 without any problem, but it doesn't
> recognise the DLink DFE-530TX network card.  I have attempted to upgrade
> from 6.2 to 7.1 but hit the same error.  There is no problem with the CD
> itself but I burnt a copy and that also fails.
>
> I even repeated the whole process on another PC, out of the same batch
> (in a school PC cluster).
>
> Seems to be the mobo to me - RH7.1 just doesn't like it.  I couldn't
> find any similar tales on the net.  Anyone else had these difficulties?

I seem to remember something on either redhat.com or lwn.net about redhat
setting up DMA so it runs by default. This has caused issues on a few
hardware combinations and redhat is asking people report the errors so
they can turn it off for those hardware combinations in future.

This may not be the issue, but food for thought. I'll see if i cant locate
teh prob description

Carl