[plug] ati rage 128 xpert 2000 probs

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:41:58 WST 2001

hi all!
I recently got myself the previously mentioned card (an ati rage 128 xpert
2000 if you don't want to look in the title) as a replacement for my tnt2
m64. If you want to know why I got the ati card, it's that nVidia's "unified
drivers" cause a sound problem with a lot of via based motherboards. Anyway,
this card solved my "windoze" problem, but I've got the absolute tragedy of
X not liking it. Every installation programme (ie. Mandrake, Redhat) that
I've run works fine, but when it tries to set it up for X, it gets an error
and says to change some settings.

The monitor setup is fine and I've tried out all the ati card choices that
use a rage 128 chipset but I still get the same problem, leaving me in
limbo. The next logical step was to try it out with just the "standard svga
card" setting or the vga16 server, but this actually hanged the machine!

Has anyone else had this prob and do you know how to fix it? I've got a
VIA-Apollo MVP3G2 chipset with an AMD K62-500 CPU. The TNT2 worked fine
(apart from the sound prob though, which is both a Windows and Linux thing).

Any help would be appreciated :)
anarchist tomato
P.S. The TNT2 isn't actually mine, so it's not an option.