[OT] Re: [plug] en_GB kde i18n

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue Jul 24 09:35:50 WST 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Aunty Jack wrote:

> personally, i much prefer "programme". it's the original spelling and it
> stands against the creeping americani"z"ation of our language. same goes for
> "theorise" and lots of other words that n. americans spell with zeds where
> there ought to be esses.

Hi,
I understand that view, but personally I'm more bothered but French-ifying
of the English language. Because of French influence, -ize becomes -ise,
program gains a pretentious -me, and the good anglo saxon eggplant becomes
an aubergine.  The Americans revolted before much of this, and so are less
affected.

from http://www.istc.org.uk/rbc0611.htm :

   If you check -ize in the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) you find;
   " . . . there is no reason why in English the special French spelling
   in -iser should ever be followed."

> > I learnt German as a child and hence 'programme' makes more sense to me but

Eh? In german that is the plural, and they actually pronounce it that way.
We do not.

> > Please give me feedback on this! Also, we have changed words like
> > 'theorize' to 'theorise' due to more common usage and the fact that the 's'
> > is the original. Any objections?

I think if you check the OED, they prefer -ize. Both are correct of
course.

P.S. I plugged "americanised english" into google, and it asked "Did you
mean: americanized english" ?.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--