[plug] Recommendations for a Scanner

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Wed Jul 25 14:43:43 WST 2001

> Anyone have any recommendations or watchouts for scanners?  I need to be
> able to scan color photos but nothing too extreme 600dpi I think should do
> the trick.  I am not sure if I should go SCSI, USB or other.
>
> I am running a dualboot RedHat 7.1/Windows 2000 Dell system
> 	- Pentium III 667
> 	- 256Mb
> 	- I have a SCSI controller for my DAT
> 	- I have USB (Not configured for Linux that I know of but I do not
> have any devices to check with).

The most important thing to do is check whatever scanner you are going
to buy is supported by SANE... http://www.mostang.com/sane/

I have an old HP 4C SCSI scanner that works well... if slow...

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining  E-mail: kim.covil at dem.csiro.au
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,       Tel: +61 8 9284 8425    ,-_!\
            Western Australia  6009     Fax: +61 8 9389 1906   /     \
                                                               *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au