[plug] Help with spam

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sun Jul 29 16:00:05 WST 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:

> Like Matt said Refferer is easily forged BUT setting it does tend to slow
> people down.  I was hit (will tested) by these same people about 2 months
> back.

Unfortunately it seems more and more SPAMmers are hitting sites with
FormMail installed with forged referers, so now would be a good time to
convert to something else.

I modified the script Steve Grasso sent me so that it disallows recipient
addresses that contain an @ - the local domain is appended automatically.

Simply replace the line that says:

$to = "$to\@$home_host" if ($to !~ /\@\S+/);

with:

  $to = "$to\@$home_host"
} else {
  &Exit("For security reasons, you may only specify usernames as
recipients
, not full email addresses. \@$home_host will be appended
automatically.\n"
);