[plug] Firewall

Adam Davin Blade_badger at bigfoot.com
Mon Jul 30 13:44:08 WST 2001

John,

not sure if this is what you are getting at but here goes.

To allow apache to accept and differentiate between name resolutions
(terminology?) on the same IP address you need to use the virtual hosts
settings (www.apache.org)

this basically entails setting up a virtual server for each name that you
wish to use

at the top of your virtual hosts

stick
NameVirtualHost <IP>

<VirtualHost <IP>>
server blah
</VirtualHost>

The apache documentation does say that you can use * instead of your IP
however I found that this didn't do what it was meant to and so used sed to
replace a string of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in my httpd.conf on connection (using
ip-up.local)

cat /etc/ppp/httpd.conf.tmp | sed s/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/$4/g >
/etc/apache/httpd.conf
($4 should be your IP assigned by your isp)

HTH

Adam Davin