[plug] ssh and telnet problem

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Mon Jul 30 20:35:36 WST 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 07:26:46PM +0800, Carol Butler wrote:
> thanks for the help.. it just takes a while to login to the server... but it
> is strange.. the server logs into the workstation quicker than the
> workstation logs into the server... I do not know why this is

This sounds like a sign of DNS problems.  Is your server machine also
doing DNS for the network? Perhaps look at /etc/resolv.conf on both
machines and ensure that the nameserver entry is correct.  If that is
not the problem, try adding the addresses of both machines to /etc/hosts
on both of them and trying again.  If DNS is working properly, this
shouldn't be necessary, but at least this will isolate the problem a bit
further.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Rule of Defactualization:
	Information deteriorates upward through bureaucracies.