[plug] Firewall

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Tue Jul 31 11:37:46 WST 2001

> > As far as I remember the way virtual hosts work with the same IP
> > address is that an extra HTTP header is included with HTTP v1.1 that
> > gives the host name of the machine trying to be accessed...
>
> I'm going to be a little bit pedantic here but ;) Apache supports Virtual
> Hosts, ie: with one server you can support multiple sites on *different* IP
> addresses. *Named* Virtual Hosts is required to do multiple sites on the same
> IP address. One apache server can be configured to do both though. The
> difference in the config file is a simple line which tells Apache which IP
> address(es) are Named Virtual Hosts.

True, which is why I said ".. the way virtual hosts work with the
same IP addess...", which though admittedly badly worded was meant
to mean "of the two ways virtual hosts can be used I am refering to
the case where it is using a single IP address"

Thanks for clearing up my wording...

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining  E-mail: kim.covil at dem.csiro.au
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,       Tel: +61 8 9284 8425    ,-_!\
            Western Australia  6009     Fax: +61 8 9389 1906   /     \
                                                               *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au