[plug] using pine

Jason Belcher jas at whatever.iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 31 11:40:58 WST 2001

Hey there

richard wrote:

>i am new to Linux ( i have been converted from the "dark side of the
>force") but i am having trouble using pine. i can send email, no
>problems at all, but i cannot seem to be able to receive them. i have
>read the man pages but i cant seem to find the answer there. Hoping
>someome can help
>thanx
>PS. i am running Mandrake 8

Pine can only be used to get mail from a mail server running on your own
computer (ie. it can't check mail from your ISP's server).

I think what you need to do is set up a local mail server on your linux
box (I think Mandrake comes set up with Postfix by default so you
probably don't need to worry about this), and then set up a program like
fetchmail to pull the mail from your ISP's server to your local server,
ready for pine (or whatever program) to read.

(Note: this is my understanding. If I'm completely wrong, someone please
let me know)

Hope this helps

Jason

--