[plug] WASP new dialup phone number problem

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Jul 31 11:49:31 WST 2001

Hi Sacha

> Here the error from /var/log/messages:
>
> Jul 30 18:46:16 office pppd[1477]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
> Jul 30 18:46:16 office pppd[1477]: Using interface ppp0
> Jul 30 18:46:16 office pppd[1477]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
> Jul 30 18:46:46 office pppd[1477]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Sounds like wvdial did not send the "ppp" command required to tell our
access server to start talking ppp.  Can you send me the output wvdial
gives you? It should say something like:

ATDT 62652400
CONNECT 28800
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
User Access Verification
login:
--> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: test
test
Password:
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
per-qv1-nas22>
--> Hmm... a prompt.  Sending "ppp".
ppp
Entering PPP mode.

I think for some reason your wvdial isn't recognising there is a prompt,
so it isn't 'Sending "ppp".'

If you can't get wvdial to work (wvdial is great when it works, but when
it doesn't it can be a real problem - which they admit to in the README)
then it might be worth configuring pppd manually.. I wrote some
instructions which talk you through setting it up, which is available at:

http://www.wasp.net.au/LinuxToWASP.txt

Let me know if you have any trouble

 - Matt