[plug] Apache

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Fri Jun 1 12:30:05 WST 2001

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:59:29AM +0800, Christian wrote:
> > Just read on the Apache web site of a recent break in and root access breach.
> >
> > If those guys can be hacked, it is worth noting. The current discussions on
> > firewalls are timely.
>
> >From what I read it was through a trojaned ssh client which logged
> passwords.  Thus firewalls would be next to useless.

Anyone know how they got the trojans on there in the first place? That
wasn't clear from the reports I've read.

On a related note, is Debian's security.debian.org updated as quickly as
they claim (usually within 48 hours of a hole being discovered), or
would reliance on using it frequently for updates just give one a nice warm
fuzzy and, well, illusory sense of security about the programs one has
installed. I know that security is not only about what one has
installed and/or running, that just happens to be the angle I'm asking
about here.

(Superfluous /^From/ inserted to puzzle Christian:)

From
Colin