[plug] unsubscribe

Paul Peterson peterspr at net1.nw.com.au
Fri Jun 1 14:07:12 WST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Nicholls [mailto:jason at mindsocket.com.au]
Sent: Friday, 1 June 2001 13:42
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Bigpong ADSL (problem & solution)

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 01:22:17PM +0800, Simon Scott wrote:
> 	Interesting. Im with bigpuddle and Ive never touch chap secrets.

the rp-pppoe install script does all this stuff for you.

> 	Another problem Ive been having is that pppoe refuses to connect
> 99/100. If I flood the link with connection requests, sooner or later it
> will connect.

I had some major outages a week back. got about 36hrs worth from 7 days. The
story went like this:

	1. telstra terminate the session (for whatever reason)
	2. no more network activity

Next up I ring Telstra to find out what's going on. Although I explain what
the situation is, they don't believe you and won't go any further unless
you're using windows.  So a reboot and some 40mins later they believe you
and escalate the problem.

It gets fixed by resetting the tunnel. Some hours later repeat. It actually
turned out to be something a little extra weird for me because the solution
ended up being to switch the port at the exchange I was on. BTW this was
after
about a month of no-problem access. Don't know why it just started to
happen.

Note the time between escalating and the tunnel being reset is approx 2
working days.

> 	My brother (who is in the know) reckons that they constantly have
> problems and have to reset the 'tunnel' when this happens, altho with
> windows clients they never connect because they cant start enough pppoe
> instances to flood the link. Unfortunately, since Im on Linux, Telstra
> refuse to escalate the problem even though I am telling them exactly what
> the problem is (to a greater degree than a windows user could).

lol, sounds like my situation. I didn't know about flooding the link with
connection requests, how do you do that?

> 	I asked the guy when Linux would be supported, and basically was
> told 'never'.

Later,

Jason Nicholls
Jason Nicholls    icq: 11745841    email: <jason at mindsocket.com.au>
Proprietor                        mobile: 0417 410 811
Mind Socket [web services]          http://www.mindsocket.com.au/