[plug] unsubscribe

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Fri Jun 1 14:06:57 WST 2001

	OH god, somebody kill me please

	From:	Paul Peterson <peterspr at net1.nw.com.au> on 01-06-2001 02:06
PM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Jason Nicholls [mailto:jason at mindsocket.com.au]
	Sent: Friday, 1 June 2001 13:42
	To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
	Subject: Re: [plug] Bigpong ADSL (problem & solution)

	On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 01:22:17PM +0800, Simon Scott wrote:
	> 	Interesting. Im with bigpuddle and Ive never touch chap
secrets.

	the rp-pppoe install script does all this stuff for you.

	> 	Another problem Ive been having is that pppoe refuses to
connect
	> 99/100. If I flood the link with connection requests, sooner or
later it
	> will connect.

	I had some major outages a week back. got about 36hrs worth from 7
days. The
	story went like this:

		1. telstra terminate the session (for whatever reason)
		2. no more network activity

	Next up I ring Telstra to find out what's going on. Although I
explain what
	the situation is, they don't believe you and won't go any further
unless
	you're using windows.  So a reboot and some 40mins later they
believe you
	and escalate the problem.

	It gets fixed by resetting the tunnel. Some hours later repeat. It
actually
	turned out to be something a little extra weird for me because the
solution
	ended up being to switch the port at the exchange I was on. BTW this
was
	after
	about a month of no-problem access. Don't know why it just started
	happen.

	Note the time between escalating and the tunnel being reset is
approx 2
	working days.

	> 	My brother (who is in the know) reckons that they constantly
have
	> problems and have to reset the 'tunnel' when this happens, altho
with
	> windows clients they never connect because they cant start enough
pppoe
	> instances to flood the link. Unfortunately, since Im on Linux,
Telstra
	> refuse to escalate the problem even though I am telling them
exactly what
	> the problem is (to a greater degree than a windows user could).

	lol, sounds like my situation. I didn't know about flooding the link
with
	connection requests, how do you do that?

	> 	I asked the guy when Linux would be supported, and basically
was
	> told 'never'.

	Later,

	Jason Nicholls
	Jason Nicholls    icq: 11745841    email: <jason at mindsocket.com.au>
	Proprietor                        mobile: 0417 410 811
	Mind Socket [web services]          http://www.mindsocket.com.au/

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com