[plug] usb mouse in debian

Ryan ryan at slowest.net
Sun Jun 3 00:15:04 WST 2001

I have found the instructions in {path to linux kernel
source}/Documentation/usb/input.txt to be
rather useful even to the extent that it fixed all my problems ;)

Also check dmesg to see if the usb ports are finding any devices, or any
ports for that matter!

<snip from input.txt>
2. Simple Usage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   For the most usual configuration, with one USB mouse and one USB keyboard,
you'll have to load the following modules (or have them built in to the
kernel):

         input.o
         mousedev.o
         keybdev.o
         usbcore.o
         usb-[uo]hci.o
         hid.o

   After this, the USB keyboard will work straight away, and the USB mouse
will be available as a character device on major 13, minor 63:

         crw-r--r--   1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 28 22:45 mice

   This device, has to be created, unless you use devfs, in which case it's
created automatically. The commands to do that are:

         cd /dev
         mkdir input
         mknod input/mice c 13 63

   After that you have to point GPM (the textmode mouse cut&paste tool) and
XFree to this device to use it - GPM should be called like:

         gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/input/mice

   And in X:

         Section "Pointer"
             Protocol    "ImPS/2"
             Device      "/dev/input/mice"
             ZAxisMapping 4 5
         EndSection

   When you do all of the above, you can use your USB mouse and keyboard.
<snip from input.txt>