[plug] usb mouse in debian

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Jun 3 18:23:15 WST 2001

Check your kernel version. I am not sure which one that 2.2.r3 shipped with;
if it is 2.2.17, then you wont have USB support. I think this came in as a
backport around 2.2.18. Alternatively, live dangerously, and run 2.4.4
(it is packaged in unstable); I have the packaged 2.4.4 running quite
smoothly on some machines (and I have built my own on others).

If it sees your USB devices, you should see output like the following
when you boot to use "dmesg |more":

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x45e/0x1e) is not claimed by any active driver.

This corresponds to my MS Optical Mouse. Now, since I also have Devfs, I
have a path /dev/input/mice and /dev/input/mouse0. And XF86Config-4 says:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
        Option      "Buttons" "7"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "CorePointer"

Now, this kind of works, all 5 buttons and two scroll directions are
recognised, but its a bit quirky in I think the wrong buttons are mapped,
but I am not too phased. Perhaps XFree86 4.1.0, released today, may
change some of this, but for 4.0.x, you should be fine.

Yours,
  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

       * *  C u in Bordeaux - 1st Debian Conference, July 2001 * *
 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html