[plug] Time Problem on Mandrake 8.0

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jun 3 11:23:11 WST 2001

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Simon Collins wrote:
> I am running Linux Mandrake 8.0 (and a Win98SE boot as well).  Every time I
> restart into M8.0 the time advances by 8 hours.  The time is then written to
> the BIOS so that when I start Windows it is wrong as well.  I am guessing
> that the +0800 hours has something to do with the fact that Perth is +0800
> from GMT.
>
> Any ideas on where to start looking?

Not sure about Mandrake, but on my Debian system there's a script called
hwclock.sh that executes on boot and shutdown, which refers to a setting
in /etc/default/rcS which contains a setting:

# Set UTC=yes if your system clock is set to UTC (GMT), and UTC=no if not.
UTC="no"

There should be something like this around, and if Mandrake is anything
like Red Hat (which they utterly deny *cough*), then you might just find
the setting in /etc/sysconfig/clock and set it to "false".

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham