[plug] honeymoon is over - Telstra introduces traffic cap on

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Wed Jun 6 18:08:33 WST 2001

I suppose the annoying thing for me and the reason I haven't connected
to ADSL until now is the fact that I want to be able to run a web server
etc on my machine at home for personal use (family photos etc) but all
the plans that allow for a static IP address or allow you to run server
applications (Telstra's conditions of use for the Home user plans don't
allow it) all have bandwidth limited to 500Mb... and they all cost quite
a bit more than the Home User connections... On my dialup connection
currently I use about 800Mb-1Gb a month... I would happily sacrifice the
3Gb limit on the Bigpond account for a 1.5Gb limit if I could run a web
server and get a fixed IP address...

Does anyone out there have any other provider suggestions...? Something
around the $80-90 a month mark for a higher bandwidth connection that
allows for a fixed IP address and running a LAN and servers connected to
it... with at least 1Gb download included...? Or am I dreaming...

*sigh*

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining  E-mail: kim.covil at dem.csiro.au
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,       Tel: +61 8 9284 8425    ,-_!\
            Western Australia  6009     Fax: +61 8 9389 1906   /     \
                                                               *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au