[plug] transfer speed of old and new HD's on one ide channel

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 9 07:59:06 WST 2001

I'm thinking of getting one of the new IBM 60Gbyte 7200rpm ATA100 ide
disks.  What happens if I use this on an ide channel with an older,
slower disk - are transfer speeds limited to the slower disk? - or can
they be set separately with no interaction?  One of the things I want to
do is improve the disk writing speed during audio/video work which is
woeful at the moment (yes I have tuned them using hdparm - just too
old/low spec I think)  The MB will do ATA66

I have all channels full in the machine at the moment and need to plan
on redistributing the HD's across 3 machines if I cannot keep one as a
fileserver for the others - only one is using ReiserFS which I love with
my propensity to *crash* things by doing something silly!

BillK