[plug] dialup not working

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Sun Jun 10 19:14:07 WST 2001

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, skribe wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:15, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > This is an imformal channel, spelling police are not allowed :-)
>
> Agreed, but....
>
> > Seriously, would you interrupt people in the middle of a conversation if
> > they got their sentences/words wrong, just to tell them they were wrong?
>
> ...I wonder how many people on this list would leap in to correct a basic
> coding error that was posted.  English is just another coding language.

Probably a lot of people, this is a computer related mailing list. But try
posting C code to a translator list (where peole talk about translating
languages, if there is such a list). I wouldn't bother, unless someone was
asking why their code didn't work.

> > BTW, you should train yourself out of being a US-UK translater outside of
> > office hours :-)
>
> Good coders are often on call 24/7, Beau ;).

No, these are the silly coders, who don't realize that most things can
be done when you are next in work. If you do substansial amounts of work
outside of office hours, it is due to poor management. Coding is not like
an emergency wark at a hospital, it is more like construction work.

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au