[plug] Slow proxy

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Jun 11 09:41:04 WST 2001

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Kevin Shackleton wrote:

> Looking through the html docs, there's a referral to someone having
> profiled a range of squid servers.  The minimum RAM was 128 MB and most
> were 256 or more.

The amount of RAM required is directly proportional to the amount of disc
cache you are using.

Squid uses RAM to keep an internal table of where on the drive each file
is located, and the more cache you have, the more files you can store, and
hence the more RAM it uses.

I worked out a good rule of thumb that seems to work well for me whenever
I build a squid cache:

24MB of RAM for every GB of squid cache.

If you have less than 24MB of RAM total you need to take into account
about 8MB of RAM for Linux itself (and other services you may have
running) so on a 16MB machine I wouldn't use any more than ~300MB of
cache.

 - Matt