[plug] Creating a RedHat Driver Disk for RH 7.1

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jun 12 15:17:53 WST 2001

Hi,

Over the last couple of days I have been working on installing RH 7.1 on an
Intel SC5000 with STL2 and 1GB and 2xPIII 1GHz ...

This monster has an Adaptec 3200S RAID card in it.

I wanted to install RedHat on a RAID-1 device on the RAID controller ...
The problem was that I did not have a driver disk for an expert install,
and Adaptec has not released on.

So, I made one ...

The techniques turn out to be rather simple, but require that a substantial
number of small furry animals be scrificed while facing North Carolina and
chanting OWABOWRHA :-)

Steps went something like:

1. Take an existing RH7.0 driver disk from Adaptec
2. Mount it via the loop device:

    mount -o loop asr_rhat7_v221_drv.img /mnt/loop

3. Create a directory for the stuff

    mkdir drivers
    mkdir drivers/2.4.2-2BOOT
    mkdir drivers/2.4.2-2smp
    mkdir drivers/2.4.2-2

4. Create the dpt_i2o.o driver. This is the bit that requires a number of
   sacrificial animals. Much patching will be required and a build of
   Linux 2.4.2 will be required along with a make modules etc.

   You will have to do this for each of the above versions

5. Copy dpt_i2o.o to drivers/2.4.2-2BOOT etc above

6. cd drivers

7. find . -print | cpio -H crc -o > ../modules.cpio

8. gzip ../modules.cpio

9. cp ../modules.cpio.gz /mnt/loop/modules.cgz

10. Umount /mnt/loop

11. dd if=asr_rhat7_v221_drv.img of=/dev/fd0

12. Use the floppy during install time.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com