[plug] cdrecord - mmap error

Adam Davin blade_badger at bigfoot.com
Tue Jun 12 16:26:59 WST 2001

Recently (since a debian dist u/g to woody) If I have tried to burn a cdrom
i get an error:

cdrecord: Invalid arguement. Cannot get mmap for 4198400 Bytes on /dev/zero

Unless I specify the fs=0 (fifo buffer).

ie #cdrecord -dummy -eject -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -data /opt/image.iso
 doesn't work but
#cdrecord -dummy -eject -v fs=0 speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -data /opt/image.iso

I have managed to track it down this far but can't for the life of me work
out why the memory can't be allocate. I have read the cd-writing howto, all
the cdrecord doc's I could find - mmap man doesn't help and as it seems to
be an internal thing I'm not sure what I can do.

Surely I shouldn't need to set the system fifo buffer to zero ... also
/dev/zero exists

I have tried recompiling the kernel ( as specified in the cd writing howto
) however it *did* work with this kernel previous to the upgrade.

I am using a 2.2.18pre21 kernel on woody ( just did a u/g last night but
same problem)
cdrecord v 1.10a18

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

TIA