[plug] Is this for real ?

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Wed Jun 13 10:31:51 WST 2001

	And you prove his point, by missing the point of 'free' software
yourself  - free is freedom, not gratis. It is just a side effect of the
opensource model that stuff can be downloaded or obtained in other ways for
gratis (or near to it). The major 'selling point' as you put it is
'freedom', which in my mind is extremely important and will win the war for
Linux and other 'free' software.

	You have obviously never been screwed by a proprietary system.

	>   And of course, he totally misses the point about "free"
software.

	Free software is no good if you can't do anything with it. "Free" is
no
	great selling point in the mind of the public. If you give something
	away for nothing, then that is exactly what it is worth in the
	recipients eye. Whilst we may not agree with this sentiment, the
vast
	majority of the human race do and that is where the real world is.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com