[plug] Linux backup programs

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Fri Jun 15 23:47:44 WST 2001

Travis Read wrote:

> The only backup solution I've been able to come up with involved
> installing a second HDD and doing a dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb once a
> month...
>
> Anybody else got a better backup solution?

I use something similar but with a removable IDE HDD in caddy and using
rsync rather than dd, so that it's quicker.  It's not a public package,
just some scripts we've hacked together.  Works fine and you can even
take the HDD out without the system complaining (although I believe that
depends on your motherboard).

--
Independent consulting solicitor* | _ .__ ._ _    |\/| _.| _ _ |._ _
and technology consultant.**    \_|(/_|(/_| | |\/ |  |(_||(_(_)|| | |
* http://www.ilaw.com.au ** http://www.terminus.net.au jm at ilaw.com.au