[plug] Linux backup programs

Grahame Bowland grahame at typhaon.ucs.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 18 14:46:12 WST 2001

On Friday 15 June 2001 23:28, Travis Read wrote:
> Doesn't RAID 1 require me to re-format and re-install frig'n
> everything from scratch?

No. The easiest way to install a machine using RAID 1 is to
do a normal install and then set up the RAID. The first time I did it I
followed the instructions at:
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html
and didn't have any trouble at all. I used Method 2 under section 4.13.

Make sure you apply the latest RAID patch (the 0.9 series, not the one in 2.2
by default) and I'd stay away from software RAID under 2.4, judging by the
talk Neil Brown gave at linux.conf.au.

Oh, and lilo in Debian 2.2 does seem to support booting from RAID out of the
box, just put the autodetect option into the kernel.

Good luck,

Grahame

--
Grahame Bowland, Network and Systems Administrator
University Communications Services, The University of Western Australia