[plug] kernel 2.4.5 issue

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jun 17 01:47:26 WST 2001

List,

I'm now tinkering with kernel 2.4.5. I've done the whole config, make dep,
bzimage, modules, etc, as I'd do for any 2.2.x kernel, and all seems well.
It produces a bzImage file in arch/i386/boot. I copy that into /boot as
per usual, make an entry in Grub (0.5.95)'s menu.lst file, and try and
boot with it. On booting the kernel, it spews out the message:

Uncompressing linux...

ran out of input data

 -- System halted

and freezes there. I've done searches on the net and it seems like a
somewhat common problem, but most of the solutions I found were problems
with lilo and people not running lilo. But being GRUB and all, it's not
that applicable. One message on GRUB's mailing list pointed to an unknown
bug in the kernel back in a test kernel 2.4.0. Any ideas?

The config file I used to compile it is up at
http://bernard.blackham.com.au/kernel/ if it is of any help.

Thanks in advance,

Bernard.

--