[plug] Re: was kernel issue & now gnome issue

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jun 17 21:33:38 WST 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Christian wrote:
> the kernel.  Therefore the message above would be coming from the kernel
> and would indicate a fault with that and not with the boot loader.

Thanks Christian. I found the solution - well kinda. I compilied the
kernel with "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" turned
off and it seems to boot fine now.

Next problem... I am in the process of installing XFree86 4.1.0. I backed
up the old /etc/X11 and /usr/X11R6 into a tarball. I then compiled X 4.1.0
from source and installed it, pushing through a couple of hitches.

I started X 4.1.0 and most of my GNOME settings were lost! Well most of
them. I still have backgrounds and menus, but my custom panels and buttons
have disappeared, XMMS no longer starts on startup, gtm (gnome transfer
manager) has lost it's list of downloaded files, XMMS no longer has comes
up with it's default playlist and a myriad of other nitty annoying things.

I restored the original X 3.3.6 but it still had wiped my customisations.
I could restore them all, but it irritates me. Why did it go missing? I
didn't delete the original /usr/X11R6 or /etc/X11 directories. The panels
seem to still exist in ~/.gnome/panel.d. I'm guessing the files in
question are in ~/.gnome* and ~/.enlightenment which I never thought to
back up. I'm running enlightenment 0.16.3.

Any ideas what caused this, and rather what I can might be able to do
about it?

Yours distressfully,

Bernard.

--