[plug] configuring ssh

Gavin Corfield gavin at twobluedots.com.au
Mon Jun 18 11:12:23 WST 2001

I'm setting up a debian server to act as a gateway.  I've got the basic
network up, I can ping both ways but I can't get ssh to work.  I have a
keys existing on my workstatin so I copied the identity_pub file across
from $HOME/.ssh/ on workstation to $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys on the
server.  However I am unable to connect with ssh, I get:

sshd_config is below:

# This is ssh server systemwide configuration file.

Port 22
ListenAddress 192.168.1.1
#ListenAddress ::
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
ServerKeyBits 768
LoginGraceTime 600
KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
PermitRootLogin yes
#
# Don't read ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
IgnoreRhosts no
# Uncomment if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
RhostsRSAAuthentication
#IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes
StrictModes yes
X11Forwarding no
X11DisplayOffset 10
KeepAlive yes

# Logging
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO
#obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging

RhostsAuthentication no
#
# For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
RhostsRSAAuthentication yes
#
RSAAuthentication yes

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
PasswordAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords yes
# Uncomment to disable s/key passwords
#SkeyAuthentication no

# To change Kerberos options
#KerberosAuthentication no
#KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
#AFSTokenPassing no
#KerberosTicketCleanup no

# Kerberos TGT Passing does only work with the AFS kaserver
#KerberosTgtPassing yes

UseLogin no

# since these are likely to be being handled by PAM, switch them off
here
PrintMotd no
PrintLastLog no
CheckMail no