[plug] configuring ssh

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Jun 18 11:25:08 WST 2001

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 11:12:23AM +0800, Gavin Corfield wrote:
> I'm setting up a debian server to act as a gateway.  I've got the basic
> network up, I can ping both ways but I can't get ssh to work.  I have a
> keys existing on my workstatin so I copied the identity_pub file across
> from $HOME/.ssh/ on workstation to $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys on the
> server.  However I am unable to connect with ssh, I get:

Is this OpenSSH?  If so, which versions?  It looks like a fairly old one
since the config file didn't have any mention of SSH v2 options.  It
might be worth upgrading to the latest version of OpenSSH and using SSH
v2.

In the mean-time, are you using the SSH agent?  There are options to
force the use of the agent and vice versa.  Also, run ssh which the
options "-v -v -v" to give maximum debugging information.  Depending on
what you have in ~/.ssh/config you may want to try the option "-1" to
explicitly force protocol v1 (unless you upgrade as advised above).

Personally I've found SSH to be really fussy about the options it
accepts, despite claims made in the documentation.  Plus the error
messages tend to be really unhelpful (as above!).  Having said that, if
you fiddle with the options enough it will generally end up working. :)

If you're still stuck after trying all these things then consider
posting the output from when you run with the "-v -v -v" option.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C