[plug] old kernel version files

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Thu Jun 21 09:10:46 WST 2001

Hi Jon

> Since updating the server to 2.2.19 from 2.2.19pre17, I've noticed
> certain directories under /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/ there are certain
> directories there that are not in the existing kernel.  Can I copy these
> directories over or should I do some kind of update?

No, they are not compatible, which is why they are in different
directories.

The reason the directories (and more importantly the files in them) are
not there are because when that kernel was compiled, those
drivers/features were not selected as modules, either because they were
compiled inline into the kernel or because they were not selected at all.

If you compiled the kernel yourself and you are missing some modules that
you need you can go back into the kernel config
(cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig)
and select the things you want to compile as modules (with the 'M' key)
and after exiting the kernel menu (say yes to save your changes) you type

make modules
make modules_install
depmod -a

you will find the new modules in your /lib/modules/2.2.19/ directory.

 - Matt