[plug] old kernel version files

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Thu Jun 21 18:13:32 WST 2001

Matt Wrote:

> Hi Jon
>
> > Since updating the server to 2.2.19 from 2.2.19pre17, I've noticed
> > certain directories under /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/ there are certain
> > directories there that are not in the existing kernel.  Can I copy these
> > directories over or should I do some kind of update?
>
> No, they are not compatible, which is why they are in different
> directories.
>
> The reason the directories (and more importantly the files in them) are
> not there are because when that kernel was compiled, those
> drivers/features were not selected as modules, either because they were
> compiled inline into the kernel or because they were not selected at all.
>
> If you compiled the kernel yourself and you are missing some modules that
> you need you can go back into the kernel config
> (cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig)
> and select the things you want to compile as modules (with the 'M' key)
> and after exiting the kernel menu (say yes to save your changes) you type
>
> make modules
> make modules_install
> depmod -a
>
> you will find the new modules in your /lib/modules/2.2.19/ directory.
>
>  - Matt

If you had a distro kernel before (like a default RedHat) and then you
download kernel.org source and compiled from that, then you most likely will
have a number of "distro" applied patches missing and hence missing
directories/files when doing a comparison. If this is the case download your
distro supplied kernel files and follow Matt's instructions.

This may or may not be your problem and again Matt's advice is probably the
solution you are after.

Michael Hunt
An Aussie in Africa