[plug] Win4Lin

J Tonkin blazer666 at dingoblue.net.au
Sat Jun 23 13:16:18 WST 2001

> > I'd like any comments on Debian and Win4Lin since this is what I'd like
> > get going. Netraverse helpfully say:
> >
> > "If you use Debian, Corel Linux, or some other distribution that uses
.deb
> > and/or dpkg to handle packages, note that Win4Lin Desktop 2.0 does not
> > support these distributions." <bleeeah>
> >
> > Has anyone managed their own patches ?
>

> For the new version.. download the graphical installer (which only
supports the
> listed distros, and not debian) start the download process, and quit after
it
> downloads the .rpm
> You will find the .rpm in /var/win4lin/installer_tmp
> Install as usual, then run the graphical install program again to register
it.

Ie have had V2 and V3 as well as the server version working under Debian.
V3 was a bit wierd for some reason it worked after 3 attempts?
for V2 and Server 1.0 just need (as you said) the --nodeps put into the
installwin4lin.sh.
Sometimes i have had to copy the /var/local/rpm or wherever the rpm
installion database is from another computer. Then i have to change the line
in the script to rpm -i --force -- nodeps ......
I suppose if i knew more about rpms i could build the data base dependencies
and it would just install. But when you have apt-get why bother with
anything else.