[plug] System Clock

Russell Hobman Russell.Hobman at watercorporation.com.au
Tue Jun 26 10:15:10 WST 2001

Goodaye, there was something posted about this some time ago. check below
for a copy of this. I hope it helps. cheers, Russell.

Bernard, I tried using 'find' to locate these configuration files that you
listed below but I couldn't.  I was surprised that nothing came up.

I finally worked out what the problem was.  I have two control centres:  one
is the KDE control centre and the other is DrakConf which is the Mandrake
control centre.  I had adjusted the KDE control centre time zone to Perth
(with the hardware clock set to local time) but the Mandrake control centre
had never been adjusted and was set to African time (with the hardware clock
set to GMT).

When I went into DrakConf I changed the time zone to Perth.  It then asked
me if my hardware clock was set to GMT or not.  I clicked "No" and that was
it; everything is working fine again.

Thanks, Simon

On Sunday 03 June 2001 11:23, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Simon Collins wrote:
> > I am running Linux Mandrake 8.0 (and a Win98SE boot as well).  Every
time I restart into M8.0 the time advances by 8 hours.  The time is then
written to the BIOS so that when I start Windows it is wrong as well.  I am
guessing that the +0800 hours has something to do with the fact that Perth
is +0800 from GMT.

> > Any ideas on where to start looking?
>
> Not sure about Mandrake, but on my Debian system there's a script called
hwclock.sh that executes on boot and shutdown, which refers to a setting in
/etc/default/rcS which contains a setting:

> # Set UTC=yes if your system clock is set to UTC (GMT), and UTC=no if not.
UTC="no"

> There should be something like this around, and if Mandrake is anything
like Red Hat (which they utterly deny *cough*), then you might just find the
setting in /etc/sysconfig/clock and set it to "false".