[plug] ReiserFS anyone

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Fri Jun 29 10:13:31 WST 2001

> 	Is it worth bothering with Reiserfs on the root partition?
>
> 	I would have thought it would only be useful on /home, /var and
> maybe even /tmp?
>
> 	Esp if you mount the other filesystems read only (like /etc, /usr)
> on a production system (which would be a good idea anyway) I cant see any
> benefit in having them on reiserfs.....

I don't mount any of my filesystems read-only as I often need to write
to them... I use my system for development and so I often need to
install new versions of software... or change settings...

I had originally only moved my /home to a journalling filesystem while I
tested how stable it was... (which is when I encountered all the NFS
problems with reiserfs and moved to XFS) but now I am happy with the
system's stability I have moved all my partitions except /boot to XFS.

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining  E-mail: kim.covil at dem.csiro.au
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,       Tel: +61 8 9284 8425    ,-_!\
            Western Australia  6009     Fax: +61 8 9389 1906   /     \
                                                               *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au