[plug] upgrading to Duron

Darrell Horrocks darrellh at kpbg.wa.gov.au
Fri Jun 29 15:55:42 WST 2001

Hi All

I finally have the cash to upgrade the home machine to a respectable
level.  Maybe not Q3 level, but enough so that I don't fall asleep
waiting for the kernel to compile!

I want a Duron and motherboard as I have the rest ready to go.  I'm
looking for some advice on:
1) What speed chip to buy.  Of course higher is better, but I remember
reading that there was an increase in FSB speed between two models.
 Anyone know what I am talking about?
2) What motherboard I should buy, but I should be asking which chipset
works best with Linux?
3) Anyone had any problems/gotchas using AMD chips/chipsets?

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Darrell