[plug] Red Hat Linux 7 security,etc. problems?

Gavin Corfield gavin at twobluedots.com.au
Thu Mar 1 16:38:15 WST 2001

> (a) some of the more well-known problems with RH7, both security and other,
> that hopefully I can use to persuade him it's just a bad option and he
> should use something else,

the default rh7 workstation didn't install apache, ftp or telnet on my
machine

however, details on tightening up rh are available in linux gazette
www.linuxgazette.org I think from last November or October

> (b) one or more URLs that explain how he can turn off services, upgrade
> known-buggy programs (and downgrade gcc to the stable version *sigh*), etc.
> to turn a default RH7 install into something that doesn't suck quite so much.

rh7 has kgcc (kernel gnu compiler) which is the previous stable version,
to compile kernels you have to hack the make files.

netscape 4.76 as distributed is buggy (crashes if you try and use adress
book)

2.2.16 kernel as distributed doesn't work with vmware (get a warning
about the cd rom drive not working)

having installed rh7 with hindsght I would have installed either rh6 or
another distro enirely

gavin