[plug] X and kppp strange and unpleasant happenings

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Thu Mar 1 19:58:44 WST 2001

Two interesting yet troublesome things have been happening on my RH7.0
box recently.  First, X doesn't load properly, and has been doing it
about once a day for the last few days where Linux loads up, the
virtual terminal is seen, then X starts and freezes just after the
first grey background and mouse pointer come up...it never makes it to
the blue background and login window.  Luckilly I just learned about
ctrl+alt+backspace, so I don't have to press the reset button on my
case anymore.  Does this usually happen with X?  Coming from Windows,
I'm somewhat used to things like this...
    Kppp let me get online using Linux for the first time last night
after I set the iiNet connect settings to let ppp do all
authentication and added 'noauth' to my /etc/ppp/options file.  I did
this from KDE.  I then logged back on in gnome and tried RH PPP
Dialer, and the same errors as before happened.  I tried to dial in
with kppp, and it would dial in, connect, then not let me access
anything and either drop out immediately or stay connected without
letting me access anything.  I then logged out and then back in the
KDE, and the same things happened.  Now today, having had the computer
turned off for about 14 hours, I'm able to connect to the Internet
with kppp in KDE again, but I'm afraid to go back to gnome (which I
actually prefer) as last time i tried kppp in gnome it stopped working
(see above comments).  any thoughts as to what would cause this?

TIA,

Ari