[plug] X and kppp strange and unpleasant happenings

Gavin Corfield gavin at twobluedots.com.au
Fri Mar 2 08:41:34 WST 2001

Ari Finander wrote:

> Two interesting yet troublesome things have been happening on my RH7.0
> box recently.  First, X doesn't load properly, and has been doing it
> about once a day for the last few days where Linux loads up, the
> virtual terminal is seen, then X starts and freezes just after the
> first grey background and mouse pointer come up...

I have also had this problem, it has v. much settled down now afterI
changed the X-settings.  At the lilo screen type

Ctrl -x (to get prompt)

then type

linux 1 (I think that's the right number)

then log in as root and run setup, opt to change X-config and select
only one graphics settings, I went to a simple 16 colour setting and try
again, this helped greatly.

>     Kppp let me get online using Linux for the first time last night
> after I set the iiNet connect settings to let ppp do all
> authentication and added 'noauth' to my /etc/ppp/options file.  I did
> this from KDE.  I then logged back on in gnome and tried RH PPP
> Dialer, and the same errors as before happened.

iinet do seem to have been having some technical problems recently,

do you get anything useful if you run the RH dialer from Gnome in debug
mode, also you could try wvdial,

gavin