[plug] StarOffice Jaggies...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Mar 6 11:49:06 WST 2001

The Thought Assassin wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> > Hi! I prepare lecture notes using StarOffice 5.2 (just as a "word" document,
> > not a presentation), and they print out luverly, but they look really jaggy
> > (aliased) on the screen. Now, I'd like to actually do these presentations live
> > (via VNC to a remote Linux Box running Star Office), but the jaggie look isn't
> > very good.
>
> Is there a reason you can't run StarOffice on the presentation box?

Yes, it's a public (to lecturers) Power Mac, so I'm limited in what I can
install on it.

> Is there a reason you can't run X on the presentation box?

See above.

> Is there a reason you can't use the other box for the presentation?

Yes, it's 15 minutes drive away. ^_^
(Curtin Lecture, running SO off a Murdoch PC, via VNC is the current plan).

This theatre has a Mac there, all wired up for presentations. There is facility
to connect a Laptop, but I don't have a laptop, and I'm aiming for minimum
effort here. Basically, I've just used overhead transparencies all the years
past, but this Mac is THERE and raring to go, so if I can easily get something
going (without having to do hardware rewiring or OS reinstalling), I'll use it.

I think VNC is only a small factor in the problem, tho. I don't have AA fonts
on my own desktop yet, and if I did, would SO use it? (As I mentioned before,
doesn't SO use its own internal font mechanisms?)

The print to PS => PDF => Acrobat (or other PDF viewer) method may work (but I
don't think I'll have time to fiddle before today's lecture...)

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :