[plug] help! i installed mandrake and now RedHat is messed up!

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Tue Mar 6 15:21:07 WST 2001

Hey all,

I received my replacement mandrake 7.2 cdroms in the mail today from
APC mag pocketbooks (my first ones were the victims of production
errors) and installed mandrake 7.2 on a separate partition (but
sharing the same swap file).  Everything seemed to work fine.  I
installed mandrake 7.2 without problems, and installed the lilo
version that comes with mandrake (replacing grub) and added an entry
to be able to boot to red hat as well as mandrake and windows98se and
the other boot options included in the mandrake install.  Then I tried
to boot to RedHat.  all sorts of 'failed' messages came up.  It took
me three tries to get X to laod up for me to log in.  Then when I get
in it won't let me log onto the internet with kppp saying something
like there is no support for ppp or some such (I know I should have
written it down, but while the kernel may not have had a panic, I
certainly did!).  Then I thought perhaps I should back up my downloads
and transfer the /var/log/ directory to my windows partition in order
to burn the files to cdrom in case things were worse than I thought.
They were worse.  I couldn't even get to my windows partition while
logged in as root to RedHat7.0 because when I attempted to it would
give me an invalid start and finish numbers error or something to that
effect :-(  I was able to edit fstab and copy the files to my new
mandrake partition.  I then rebooted to mandrake7.2 and copied the
files to the windows parition (which I'm in now and backing up all my
files to cdrom).  What could have caused this?  What can I do to fix
this?  Do you all need mroe info from the logs (ie- should I attach
more logs to an email and send them, I'm attaching /var/log/messages
to this email)?

TIA,

Ari
(a very panicked spodosaurus *pout*)