[plug] download partition

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Mar 6 15:59:17 WST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 03:10:01PM +0800, Ari Finander wrote:
> Having it ona separate partition just seemed cleaner to me.  I'm going
> to have to repartition my HDD anyway so I could either give windows a
> larger partition size or make the extra partition for downloads.  Can
> packages contained in this partition or windows directory be installed
> from there, or will I have to copy them to the linux partition I'm
> trying to install them to before installing (newbie question *grin*)?

I don't really see that it's any "cleaner"... A helluva lot more
pointless but not really any cleaner! ;-)  The only advantage would be
if you wanted to download Windows programs from Linux then you wouldn't
have to make your entire Windows partition writable by your Linux
account which creates the potential for you to accidentally wipe out
your Windows partition as an ordinary Linux user (you'd lose
all that user's files on the Linux filesystem too).  Of course, you can
wipe your entire Windows drive from within Windows even more easily so
this isn't really as much protection as it might seem.  Also, from what
you describe above it seems you want to do the reverse anyway so its
probably not an issue.  A good reason *not* to make a separate partition
is, in 6 months time when you're using Linux full-time and Windows is
something of a distant memory, you're going to wish your Windows
partition was a lot smaller than it is and this extra partition you've
made is just going to be another inconvenience/wasted space.  Take it
from someone who's been there/done that...

As for your question, the short answer is that you can install the
packages from anywhere.