[plug] download partition

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Tue Mar 6 22:01:48 WST 2001

G'day,

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 09:58:08PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> The point (finally) is I need to flit between native doze and Linux for a
> bit so I'm keeping all of my project data on the DOS partition until I can
> move across permanently to Linux. But if Ari intends to keep doze (for
> games,etc) then it might be worth thinking about what sort of data needs to
> be shared between the two OSes. Why put stuff useful only to Linux on a
> crappy old FAT partition (a separate one or otherwise) ? My question about
> security was a leading one because I suspected that utilities allowed
> access to the Linux fs2's. Exposing the fs2 partitions to doze seems a
> waste of the effort to make Linux secure. Is this true or am I missing
> something ?

I think the real security threat is giving someone physical access to the
computer. Whether to reboot into windows and use ext2 fs utils from there, or
bring their own linux rescue disk (floppies, disks). What does it matter, the
security threat is the person and that person having physical access, not the
tools.

Later,

Jason Nicholls