[plug] download partition

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Mar 6 22:17:50 WST 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Harry McNally wrote:
> Next is to try VMWare to see if it's fast enough that I can exorcise
> all of the EvilOnes software from my system (fellow newbies .. Win4Lin
> requires a copy of doze).

Uhh... VMWare requires this too... Perhaps you mean Wine? (www.winehq.org)
Even better thing about wine - it's free (and yes still being developed).
But it really is a masterpiece.

In regards to the `download partition', I'd have to be on Christian's side
that it is a bit messier to have a separate standalone FAT partition
simply for dual access. You can allow linux to access any FAT partition no
worries. As for preventing access to the ext2 partition from Windows,
perhaps this can be done with a remapping of drives with lilo or grub? I'm
not sure how this would work - you can remap entire drives and keep your
windows drive separate from your linux drive and just not let windows
touch the other. But, if it's a single drive partitioned with ext2 & FAT
then it could well be an issue.

Regards,

Bernard.

--