[plug] help! i installed mandrake and now RedHat is messed up!

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Wed Mar 7 01:57:48 WST 2001

Original message from: Peter Wright <pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au>

>If it's the error messages (although they may be just informative
warnings
>and thus harmless) on bootup that are worrying you, attach a copy of
your
>dmesg output to another mail and I'll be happy to have a look at
them.

attached to this email is demsg-output.txt

>Your /var/log/messages below explains this in what I must say is a
>surprisingly informative error message:
<snip>
>It looks like the PPP module cannot be loaded for some unknown
reason.

>BTW, this appears to imply that you are using Mandrake (note where it
>refers to the modules dependency file
"/lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/modules.dep"
>- the 'mdk' extension in the directory name is a Mandrakeism).... I
thought
>from what you were saying above that you were using Redhat. Which is
it?

Mandrake on one partition, windows98se on another, and red hat on a
third.  I was using RedHat mainly, but wanted to have a look at
mandrake.  Since I reactivated the RH lilo RH boots fine.  I suspect
that red hat was being booted with mandrake's kernel (how the heck did
I do that???) and that's where the troubles were coming from.  I now
have to edit the RH lilo to get mandrake to boot up without the same
errors!

While playing around earlier, I made a boot disk that had fips.exe on
it from the RH7.0 /dosutils/fips20/ directory on the installation
cdrom.  When I ran fips.exe, it informed me that some of the numbers
in the partition tables (again, should have written the exact words
down, but forgot) weren't correct in terms of start and end numbers.
The error I was getting when trying to mount the /mnt/winc (my windows
98se partition) was "mount /dev/hda1 has wrong major or minor number".
Could this be related to the fips error I got (I didn't change
anything with fips, just started the program up)?  The windows
partition mounts fine now.