[plug] help! i installed mandrake and now RedHat is messed up!

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 7 02:32:00 WST 2001

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 01:57:48AM +0800, Ari Finander wrote:
> Since I reactivated the RH lilo RH boots fine.  I suspect that red hat
> was being booted with mandrake's kernel (how the heck did I do that???)

...I _really_ don't know. Do let us know if you can find out. *grin*

> and that's where the troubles were coming from.

Booting with the wrong kernel can indeed cause some interesting problems.

[ snip ]
> Yes to both of the above questions.  Now that I've reactivated RH lilo
> I need to properly set it up to boot mandrake...any tips on how not to
> bollocks it up like I did with setting up mandrake's lilo?  :-)

Um.... well, and I know this could be classed as an OldFartResponse(tm),
but quite seriously I'd recommend you read the lilo.conf(5) manpage, and
possibly have a look through the lilo(8) manpage as well.

Try using cfdisk (man cfdisk) to have a look at how your hard disk is
partitioned and VERY CAREFULLY go through /etc/fstab on both the Mandrake
and the Redhat root partitions to make sure that they aren't both trying to
mount and use the same partition. Except for your swap partition - it's
okay for them both to use that. But nothing else.

> Thanks again,
> Ari
[ snip ]
> Linux version 2.2.17-21mdk (chmou at no.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease)) #1 Thu Oct 5 13:16:08 CEST 2000
> Detected 400915 kHz processor.
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> Calibrating delay loop... 799.54 BogoMIPS
[ etc... ]

Looks fine, I don't notice any bootup errors such as you were describing
before.

Oh, and by the way....

Linux version 2.2.18 (root at chef.flooble.net.au) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #2 SMP Sat Feb 17 14 :59:55 WST 2001
[ ... ]
CPU0: Intel Celeron (Mendocino) stepping 05
[ ... ]
CPU1: Intel Celeron (Mendocino) stepping 05
Total of 2 processors activated (1998.84 BogoMIPS).

Mmmm, bogomips. :)

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved
it correct, not tried it." -- Donald Knuth