[plug] lilo and multiboot problems

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Wed Mar 7 02:54:12 WST 2001

I'm trying to get lilo to let me boot either my red hat 7.0 (hda2),
mandrake 7.2 (hda6), or windows98se (hda1) operating systems from the
red hat lilo screen.  So far, I've been completely unsuccessful, and
from the errors reported with linuxconf when I try to apply the
changes to lilo I'm worried that some file has grown too large with
all my trials.  Here's what comes up after I press 'activate changes'
and I display the error log:
  Checking base configuration
    Checking kernel's modules
    Mounting local volumes
    Checking files permissions
    Checking lilo
      Executing /sbin/lilo
        *Warning: device 0x0306 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit
        >Added RedHat
        >Added Win98SE*
        *Fatal: open /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-21mdk: No such file or
directory
        *return 1
  Executing some Sysv init scripts

Here's my lilo.conf file:

boot = /dev/hda
timeout = 50
linear
prompt
  message = /boot/message
  default = Win98SE
  vga = normal
  read-only
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
  label = RedHat
  root = /dev/hda2
other = /dev/hda1
  label = Win98SE
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-21mdk
   label = mandrake
   root = /dev/hda6

Can anyone help me here?  I've read through the howtos and mini
howtos, but they're all concerned with multi boot systems that onle
have one linux partition.  My lilo prompt comes up as if the last
section for mandrake wasn't even there, and RedHat and Win98sE boot
fine.

TIA,

Ari