[plug] download partition

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Mar 7 09:21:46 WST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 09:58:08PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> Yes, Greg's suggestion is quite correct but I'm interested in Ari's
> intention with this common copy area (as you've discussed in a later post,
> Christian). I'm currently moving across to Linux but rely on some Windoze
> software for my work; FrameMaker, Protel (PCB design), et al. I've loaded
> Win4Lin and found a problem mapping native doze drive C as a DOS partition
> visible to WIn4Lin. The support people advise I've found a bug .. lucky
> lucky. But mounting it under Linux and pointing Win4Lin at it as a Linux
> device has got this going. Next is to try VMWare to see if it's fast enough
> that I can exorcise all of the EvilOnes software from my system (fellow
> newbies .. Win4Lin requires a copy of doze).

But it hardly matters whether this is a dedicated "download" partition
or the ordinary Windows partition being used to download files to.
Adding extra partitions under Windows is just a hassle and will create
more problems in the future as I outlined previously.

> The point (finally) is I need to flit between native doze and Linux for a
> bit so I'm keeping all of my project data on the DOS partition until I can
> move across permanently to Linux. But if Ari intends to keep doze (for
> games,etc) then it might be worth thinking about what sort of data needs to
> be shared between the two OSes. Why put stuff useful only to Linux on a
> crappy old FAT partition (a separate one or otherwise) ? My question about
> security was a leading one because I suspected that utilities allowed
> access to the Linux fs2's. Exposing the fs2 partitions to doze seems a
> waste of the effort to make Linux secure. Is this true or am I missing
> something ?

Whether he keeps Windows for games or whatever, the "download" partition
will very soon outlive its usefulness.  If he starts using Linux
fulltime then the download partition will be, essentially, wasted space
that he'll have to go to the trouble of reclaiming.  If he decides Linux
isn't worth the hassle and goes back to Windows then he has this
partition there he has no use for: extra partitions are a huge hassle
under Windows since practically everything assumes they will be on drive
C:.

But perhaps I'm not following your argument.  If you can really think of
a good reason why he needs an extra partition to do this (and can
express it in 25 words or less!) then please post it!