[off-topic] Re: [plug] Booting on a different device?

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Mar 8 09:38:21 WST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Andrew Furey wrote:

> Unfortunately the BIOS is one of the old school which
> only allows booting from A or C (no SCSI). What this

Maybe you can add a BIOS chip to your SCSI card?

> means is that if the IDE drive is in at boot time, it
> will try to boot off it, but if it's not then the

Why not set the BIOS to boot from the A: floppy?
Thats simple, so long as the kernel on floppy has SCSI drivers linked in.
You could use modules, but thats more complicated.

> other=/dev/sda4
>    label=sco
>    table=/dev/sda

That cant work without a SCSI bios. How can LILO read sda on boot?
You can only read sda after the kernel is loaded. You can tell LILO
that the root=/dev/sda4.

 Hang on, but you are using SCO. Kinda off-topic isnt it?

NOTE: a) LILO cant read the SCSI disk table (sda), or any disk without
bios support.
      b) this is a linux list

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>