[plug] Download Bandwidth Limiting

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Thu Mar 8 16:54:41 WST 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> I have a LAN at home, with a Linux gateway, and I'd like to set it up to
> limit the bandwidth of certain activities. ie; When some big download is
> thrashing my poor little 33.6k modem, I'd like to limit the download
> rate, to allow some bandwidth guranteed for other uses.

If you have any control over the other end of your modem link, you could
play with ToS (Type of Service) values to flag all packets on the ftp
data port (etc) as bulk, and packets over the ssh etc port as interactive
I'm afraid I've lost the config file where I had this set up (and that was
with ipfwadm anyway, though converting to ipchains would not have been
hard) but the ipchains manpage/website have some pointers that could get
you started.

If you wish to restrict certain ports/IPs (or certain source/dest
combinations) you will need to look into something a little more advanced
like CBQ-based traffic shaping.

ftp://ftp.equinox.gu.net/pub/linux/cbq/cbq.init is a little bash script
that allows you to set this up using fairly simple config files.

 - Matt